Saturday, October 18, 2008

Specially for my students at Sasi

Folks,

Hope you are doing fine and remember me. I am fine and enjoying nice weather at Bangalore :-)

It has been long since I spoke to many of you. As I have said many times earlier, you all have a special place in my heart (not just in career) as you were my first few students and you have tremendous influence on the way I live since met you people. Being busy at work I am not able to spend time for you, otherwise I never forget you wonderful kids.

Hope your studies are going well. While I never subscribe to the idea of focusing only on studies, we all know, that your performance at studies make or break your other dreams. It may look like I am repeating, but let me say it once again: do not study only for the sake of marks. Try to understand the big picture and relate what you are learning to that picture. Nothing in this world exist in isolation. Everything is related to every other thing ... directly or indirectly ... some times very tightly and some times fragile. Your syllabus pressure may not allow you to look into other sources of information, but whenever you get a chance, see if you can get the other perspectives on the topics that you are working on. For example, when you read a Java text book, it may talk about all of its virtues, but get in insight from who actually uses Java and try to understand its short comings and other alternatives as well. Only then you can really know what is Java. This is just an example.

I guess every other person you meet may give you a lecture on studies. Why again I should bother you? Let me tell you about what I am doing.

Ever since I returned to Bangalore from Tadepalligudem, I have been shaping myself as a corporate trainer and consultant. After spending few months with you, I found that I am more useful to this world as a teacher/trainer/mentor rather than as a manager or corporate person. I told you that you have strong influence on my current life. Of course, I am passionate about technology but now I am equally enjoying in training others in technology. Frankly, I do not want to make it as a career for money. But you know, I am not that rich and I will have to do it for few more years :-) Once I find other avenues for financial resources, I would like to carry this as a social commitment. I am currently aiming to build a business around technology in the next couple of years. Let me see how far I will succeed in it.

Recently I have worked with few engineers from IFlex and Polaris. One profound observation is that many of the successful people who made it into good positions at various organizations are actually from rural and semi-urban areas. They are not born city dwellers or having English speaking parents. Yet, they are no less self-confident, self-driven, self-critics than others. I hope you cultivate those personal strengths and bring good name and fame to your parents, teachers and whom ever you love.

Thats all for now. Drop a mail in your free time. I will keep writing to you whenever I have something to share with you. I am not having the mail-id of all the people whom I wish you to contact. I am posting this mail to my blog with the hope that it reaches them as well on one fine day.

No comments: